We used a lot of this week updating the flow for new players. Among other things we created three new tutorials and updated the login and register screen. But most important we introduced the completed brick.
When players touch this brick, they be told that they completed the level and awarded with a silver crown. This update should really help improve the experience when playing levels that have a definite end.
After half an hour of trying I managed to complete the gravity tutorial ;)
The tile of my previous blog post should naturally have been Pirates and Vikings. However me being tired when I wrote the last blog post resulted in the title ending up as “Pirates vs Ninjas”. On the upside, todays package is a ninja package, making my last post slightly less confusing.
The new amazing ninja package
Most interesting in the new package is the stairs which you can climb to get to high places.
We also managed to fix a major crash bug that has been affecting the game for the past month. Thus the game should behave much nicer now, allowing you to play the same level for more than 24 hours.
That last few weeks have been used mostly on bug fixes and internal updates to the game. We did however mange to release the Pirate package last Friday and the Viking package today!
Stay tuned for a much longer list of fixes and updates next Thursday!
The amazing Pirate Package
The viking package
The Clever Everybody Edits player will by now have realized that we for the past months have had a new release every single Thursday. One of the goals of getting more people onboard was to have a steady release cycle and I am very happy to announce that so fare we have succeeded.
Todays release contains the whole new window brick. The bricks are above the player and semitransparent and should do well for houses etc.
Trapping NOU under some windows.
Blocks out of beta
We also got around to taking the Piano, Drum and Mineral blocks out of beta. Non beta players should be extra happy about this one.
Most of this week where used fixing bugs. Most noticeably we did a lot of bug fixing on the Friends system in preparation for releasing it to everyone. Below is the full list of minor changes.
- Changed the Everybody Edits website to a minimalistic design.
- Fixed bug where users playing as guest on Kongregate would get a popup.
- When playing on the Everybody Edits website, the url will now change to reflect the current level
- Diamond smiley will no longer persist between worlds.
- Fixed bug where the room a friend where online in would not be shown
- Fixed bug that would incorrectly kick you when switching levels fast
- Fixed bug that allow players to crash the game by sending specially crafted chat messages
- Fixed bug that would make the smiley blink when first joining a level
- Added new and improved bad word filter
- Updated art for checkered background to make it flicker less
- Worlds in the profile will now be scaled if to wide for the view
- Fixed bug where none chatting users could sometimes chat
- Improved profile security
This is what we are currently working on!
Whiteboard at the office
This week we used a lot if time bug fixing the friends system. Hopefully we can have it out in the hands of everyone very soon. The updates to the friends system is still pending release but we got around to releasing the new police smiley and prison pack.
You can now build a real world troll prison
While we are quite happy with the pack, we are working on a fix for the flickering that happens when you move around.
We also finally got around to moving the coins to the decoration layer, such that you no longer can hide a coin by standing on top of it.
Guest fails to troll
The Everybody Edits friends system is finally here! To allow for this large change we created a whole new section on the Lobby screen where you can see info about you, your friends, worlds, and items.
The new profile top
To invite real friends, simply click the +Add button on the My Friends tab on the new lobby screen, and type in their emails.
Simply click the +Add button to invite friends
When they accept, you will be able to see them, their online status, and in which world they are playing, directly on the friends chat.
Friends have green usernames under their smiley and in the user list.
Also, you and your friends can now chat in-game, even if none of you have full chat.
As we are still testing out the friends system, you have to be a beta memver to actually try it. And since the system is still in beta, we might occasionally clear all friends during testing.
Other changes and fixes:
- The news section has been moved to an overlay that appears when a new version has been released.
- The game will now remember which smiley you were using between games.
- We fixed a bug where a single user could be online in multiple worlds at the same time.